Thursday, July 1, 2010

Tater Tot Casserole

Wow, it's been awhile since I last posted. It's also been awhile since I cooked anything interesting. Or rather, cooked something interesting, that isn't already on here, and that I had time to post. Last night I made some jambalaya but it wasn't all that good. My husband liked it more than I did.

Today, for lunch, I decided to make a tater tot casserole. Having lived in Minnesota for 9 years "hot dishes" are prevalent and unfortunately I usually don't care for them. They come out looking like chunky gray mush. No thanks! But I had some frozen tater tots and I really need to use up the stuff in our freezer since we're moving soon.

I found a recipe on Recipezaar that looked pretty good and I made a few adjustments and out came a REALLY good, flavorful, and colorful casserole. (I'm originally from Chicago and I've aways refused to say "hot dish", haha).

Ok so here is the recipe as I made it and at the bottom I'll include the link to the original recipe which was pulled out of a newspaper in the 1970s!


  • 24ounce package of frozen tater tots (or your preferred frozen potato)
  • seasoned salt, garlic powder, and black pepper
  • 1/2lb browned ground beef
  • 1 small can French's fried onions, divided
  • 1 medium tomato, diced
  • 2 cups chopped steamed broccoli (I boiled for just 2mins and quickly drained and rinsed under cold water)
  • 1/2cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup (or any cream soup I had a can of cream of chicken I needed to use)
  • 1/2cup milk
  • 1 small can mushroom pieces and stems, drained
  1. Preheat oven to 400F (200C)
  2. Spray a 8x12inch casserole dish with the frozen potatoes and sprinkle with the 3 seasonings, to taste. Bake for 10mins . 
  3. Remove from oven and top with beef, 1/2 of the can onions, tomato, and brocolli. 
  4. Mix the cheese, soup, milk, and mushrooms in a separate bowl and spread over the meat and veggies.
  5. Bake for 20mins, COVERED.
  6. Top with remaining onions, switch to broil for about 90seconds uncovered until onions begin to brown. Be careful not to burn. 
Serve with a salad. Serves 6 well. 

My husband and I both loved this! We will give it to our daughter for dinner tonight. It was too close to nap time to have her eat this for lunch.
http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/print?id=109181

No comments:

Post a Comment