Sunday, December 5, 2010

Slow Cooker Thai Chicken and Coconut Rice

Here's a meal my mom makes that my husband and I love. I made it for my husband and our sister-in-law last night and it was a big hit. Everything was GONE!


Slow Cooker Thai Chicken
Lay frozen chicken breasts (1-2lbs) at the bottom of a crock pot. If they aren't frozen that's fine but it's always nice to have a recipe that doesn't require defrosting. 

In a bowl mix: 
  • 3/4 cup salsa. Use whichever one you like.
  • 1/4 cup peanut butter.
  • 2 tbs lime juice
  • 1 tbs soy sauce
  • 1 tsp grated ginger 
Mix together and pour over chicken. Cook on low or high or a high/low combo to make it's done for your dinner time. Gosh, I love not worrying about exact measurements but in case you don't... Approx times are: On low about 6-8hrs, on high 4-5 hrs, or on high for an hr and then low for 2-3. 

When it's done top with 1/4 cup chopped peanuts and chopped green onions. I skipped this last night and it was still tasty. 

*You can make this in a casserole dish in the oven. Bake at 350F for about an hour. I haven't made it this way yet so (as ALWAYS) make sure to check the temp of the chicken before serving!


Coconut Rice (two cooking methods)
This is my absolute favorite rice. I could eat it everyday. Easily doubles/triples. I only fed three adults but I wish I had made a double batch. For a double batch just double all ingredients; no special instructions. 

In a rice cooker combine 1 1/4 cups chicken broth, 1 1/2 tsp grated ginger, 1/3 cup coconut milk (reg or light but NOT cream of coconut). Stir in 3/4 cup white rice. Turn on rice cooker. When done top with 1/2 tsp grated lime zest, 2 medium green onions, chopped, and 2tbs toasted coconut. 

OR

Bring 1 1/4 cups chicken broth, 1 1/2 tsp grated ginger, and 1/3 cup coconut milk to a boil. Stir in 3/4cup rice. Bring back to boil then reduce heat. Cover and simmer 15mins or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and top with 1/4tsp grated lime peel and 2 medium green onions chopped. Garnish with 2 tbs toasted coconut.

*To toast coconut: Spread coconut evenly on ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 350F for 5-7mins, stirring occasionally, until golden brown. You can make a large batch and store in a air tight container or zip lock for several months. 

Stir Fry Broccoli
I only add this b/c it uses left over ingredients from the chicken and it was also GONE. A can of chicken broth is about 2 cups so I simply dumped a bag of frozen broccoli, the remaining chicken broth, a good tbs or two of soy sauce, and a sprinkle of garlic powder into a stir fry pan and cooked until the broccoli was heated through and the sauce boiled off. It was really very flavorful and delicious! 

Note about the coconut milk: The recipe uses only 1/3cup coconut milk. I measured the remaining milk into 1/3 portions and froze in freezer bags. Coconut milk is about $1-$2 per can but makes several recipes. I may use the leftover for our favorite curry chicken :)

Note about fresh ginger: You can freeze the whole root and then just grate what you need each time! Lasts a LONG time and really a very cheap ingredient. Don't be afraid to break off a piece at the grocery store since it tends to be sold in very large portions (as it grows).

No pictures on these yet...Sorry but it went too fast!



No comments:

Post a Comment