Monday, July 18, 2011

Homemade Runza

I had a Runza in Nebraska years ago and forgot about it. The other day my girlfriend gave me her recipe for Runza using Pillsbury refrigerated crescent rolls. I used her recipe but made homemade crescent dough from a recipe I tweaked from the web. You can use store-bought crescents to make this. If you do, pinch together two triangles, add some filling, fold over and pinch together at the edges. My girlfriend suggests 2-3 tubes of crescent rolls depending on how many Runzas you want to make. If you're using store bought rolls skip to the Runza filling.

Homemade Whole Wheat Crescent Dough:
Put 2 1/4 teaspoons yeast in a bowl. If yeast was refrigerated or frozen allow yeast to warm to room temperatures about 5mins. Add 1/2 cup warm water and 1/2 warm milk (I nuked in a mug for 20seconds). Add one egg and 1/3cup soft (NOT melted) butter and whisk briefly. Add 1/3 cup sugar and 1 tsp salt and whisk again. Then add 3 3/4 cups flour (I used 3cups white and 3/4cups wheat). Stir to combine and then knead dough with hands until well incorporated. Madelyn had fun "kneading" the dough. Let rise on a warm counter 30mins-60mins. While the dough is rising make the filling.


For filling:
Brown 1 pound ground beef, drain and rinse. Return to pan and add 2 cups diced cabbage and diced onion to taste. Add 2tablespoons butter and allow to simmer until cabbage is soft. Add salt and pepper  to taste. Add one can cream of mushroom soup (concentrate without diluting).

Back to the dough: 
This is where the filling should go

Knead briefly and then divide dough into 8 portions (to make even pieces divide dough in half, then divide those pieces in half, then divide those pieces in half one last time). On a floured surfaces shape a piece into a circle about 5inches wide. Then add filling off center on the dough. Fold dough over and pinch edges together to create a half moon shape. 


Here's the uncooked, half moon shaped Runzas on cookie sheet.

Bake at 375 for 15mins or until bread is golden and not doughy.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmm, I love Runzas. I don't think anyone else in my family likes them unfortunately. :(

    ReplyDelete