Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Jello Yogurt

I found a recipe for jello yogurt and after reading the reviews changed it a bit... of course. Since I just made my own homemade yogurt I had thinner yogurt than most store bought so I thought changing it a bit would be a good idea. Someday I'll share my homemade yogurt recipe but I don't have it down quite yet although this batch was thicker than the last. Even though it's thin we just use it to make smoothies and now... jello yogurt!

Simply make a small package of jello according to directions and add an envelope of unflavored  gelatin (but don't add the additional water for the gelatin recipe). Add the gelatin to the HOT water and dissolve completely before adding the cold water.

Once the Jello is made and still hot add it to 2cups of your favorite yogurt. Mix and put in fridge to firm-up for a few hours.

Since I used yogurt that was lightly flavored but hardly sweetened I ended up with a dessert that's not too sweet and I didn't feel bad giving my daughter "seconds" on a special treat since it's mostly milk and water!

This recipe is easy to alter with various flavors, and more or less gelatin for a firmer or thinner result. Using plain yogurt with the Jello will make it not as sweet. I'm guessing you could add drained canned or frozen fruit to this as well although I like things smooth ;).

I made cherry this time but next time I'll try orange!

No comments:

Post a Comment