Sunday, May 23, 2010

Amazing Roasted Broccoli

I'll have to find the website where I got this recipe. Really the same friend who gave me the Lemony Chicken recipe also passed this one on to me. It is seriously amazing and I think even people who don't like broccoli will love this.

What you need:

  • One bunch broccoli, remove stalks, cut into large bite-size pieces, washed and very dry.
  • olive oil
  • Kosher salt (or reg if you must)
  • Lemon Juice (fresh or bottled)
  • Nuts: pine (original recipe calls for these), or chopped walnuts, sunflower seeds, slivered almonds (choose one). 
  • Parmesan cheese 
A word about Parmesan cheese. Don't use powered. I mean, its ok and really I'm cheap. Really cheap. But the container of shredded such as DiGiorno brand cost about the same as the container of powdered. You can also buy shredded in bags the same as you buy shredded mozzarella or cheddar. It's WAY better than the bottle of powdered. 

Ok about washing/drying the broccoli. This recipe really doesn't work well unless the broccoli is VERY DRY. Typically I wash it ahead of time and then lay it on a clean dish towel for a few hrs. It doesn't take long but it's an important step in preparation.

On to the good stuff!

  • Preheat your oven to 400F. Line a cookie sheet with foil. 
  • Toss broccoli on the sheet. Drizzle with some olive oil, Kosher salt, and pepper. I like Kosher salt b/c the granules are larger and I think the flavor is better because of that.
  • Bake for 20mins.
  • Pull out of oven, drizzle with a little more olive oil, then add the nut/seed of your choice and about 1/4 cup of cheese. Taste and add more salt/pepper as preferred.
  • Then, the best part. Squeeze or drizzle lemon juice right on the stuff! It's AMAZING. Taste it! Serve it! Serve it if you haven't tasted so much that there isn't enough left!
I got the recipe from a friend who got it from The Amateur Gourmet who got it from a book called "Back to Basics". Here's the link to the Amateur Gourmet you may very likely love her other recipes as well!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment