Sunday, May 23, 2010

Boston Cream Cake

Yea there's such a thing ;)

I first found the recipe on William Sonoma's website. I liked their recipe for the cake. I don't have a cake mix on hand and, let's face it, running to the store for one item with a toddler takes just as long as making a cake from scratch. I didn't really care for their recipe for the filling though only because I am low on time today and I have to work all day tomorrow. Dez found a recipe on a blogspot called The Fat Bottomed Girl. I used her idea to use vanilla pudding for the filling and I think I'm going to use her frosting too since it seems like people generally thought it set up well. So here would be "my" recipe (really a combination of other's).

Filling: Make up a small envelope of vanilla pudding according to filling directions. Put in fridge to set up. You will only need half the pudding do the other half can be used for something fun. A facial perhaps.

Cake:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
6 Tbs. (3/4 stick) unsalted butter,
at room temperature
1 2/3 cups sugar
1 cup milk
2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 eggs

Preheat oven to 350F

Grease and flour a round cake pan.

Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Whisk to mix, set aside.
Combine butter and sugar in large bowl, beat at medium speed for 2mins, until fluffy.
Combine milk, extract, and eggs in a medium bowl. Mix well.

Alternate adding the dry ingredients and the milk/egg to the butter/sugar bowl and mix well. Scrap down bowl and mix again.

Pour in cake pan and bake for about 60mins or until toothpick comes out clean.
Let cool in pan for 10mins then turn out onto cooling rack.

When the cake is cool slice in half with a serrated knife (like a hamburger bun). Press a well in the bottom layer with your finger tips in the center of the cake up to 1/2 inch to the edge of the cake. Add half of the pudding you made and top with second layer cake.

Top with the following icing/glaze or use your favorite. I haven't done the glaze yet so I'm not sure how I'll like it. It doesn't look like it's a good idea to make the glaze ahead of time b/c you want to pour it on the cake while it's still fairly liquidy and easy to spread. If you want the icing can just dribble over the edge, it doesn't have to be spread on like a regular cake. Really, go to the website(s) for photos or maybe I'll add one tomorrow.

Glaze:
3 Tablespoons Butter
3 oz. Unsweetened Baking Chocolate (OR 9T cocoa mixed with 3T oil or melted shortening)
1 C. Powdered Sugar
3/4 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Water


"Melt butter & chocolate together in a small saucepan; remove from heat. Stir in sugar and vanilla. Mix well (mixture will be stiff). Stir in water 1 tsp. at a time until smooth and spreadable.Spoon glaze over the top of the cake. You can let it drip down the sides or smooth it over them if you wish. Smooth the tops also. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes or until glaze sets and serve or cover and store in refrigerator."

If you use a cake mix instead of the homemade cake you will have enough for two cakes. You already have enough pudding for two cakes but you will need to make two sets of glaze. These refrigerate well once assembled and taste yummy cold (from what I remember as a kid). I seem to remember eating something like this but I can't remember if my mom made it or where I had it. I'll let her comment on that.

Tomorrow is my husband's Bday and this will be his Bday cake!

Sources (b/c really I hate to be a theif!)
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/boston-cream-pie.html
http://thefatbottomedgirl.blogspot.com/2007/06/easy-boston-cream-pie.html

Post Taste-Test:
We liked it. Andrew loved it. Said it is his new favorite cake. I think I would make a homemade custard instead of vanilla pudding in the future. It would also be fun to experiment with different types of filling. The cake itself is pretty dense and a more delicate cake might be preferred. Cake flour instead of all purpose might be nice. All in all a great recipe and one that is worthy of keeping tabs of here.

Also, the frosting is the best part of the cake in my opinion. I am certain that I will use the frosting on other cakes and creations in the future. It sets up firm and dense. It's rich and has a deep chocolate taste. I didn't have baking chocolate on hand so I went with the cocoa powder/oil combo. Very good!

No comments:

Post a Comment