Sunday, May 23, 2010

Sweet and Sour Chicken drumsticks w/dipping sauce

I found this recipe from mykitchensnippets.com. Pretty amazing!

I don't normally love dark meat but when it's less than a buck a lb it's hard to argue with. I often use it to make soups...boil the chicken down for to stock, remove the skin/bones, cube the meat and add whatever else to make a soup but when I saw this recipe I had to try it. Besides, soup season is pretty much over in Minnesota.

Marinate 2lbs (about 8) drumsticks with skin removed for at least two hours in:
1tsp paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp lemon salt (I used kosher salt and some lemon juice, I have no clue if that's really a substitute but it tasted good)
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
3 tbls balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste (I skipped)

Bake at 400F for an hour on a cookie sheet lined with foil. I thought that seemed like a REALLY long time but they came out crispy on the outside and really juicy on the inside. Pretty amazing.

Dipping sauce:
1 tsp orange zest (I skipped)
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup water
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp soy sauce
1/4 tsp coriander
salt and pepper to taste (skipped it again...soy sauce has enough salt)

When chicken is done bring ingredients of dipping sauce to a boil and then add a mixture of 1tbsp cornstarch and 2 tbsp water to thicken. Bring to a boil and remove from heat.

The author suggested serving with roasted potatoes (which I would have just thrown in the oven with the chicken) and salad. I served it with rice. It was pretty amazing. We only have 5 drumsticks. Now I have a great recipe to use when drumsticks are on sale!

Note: Most people know this but for new cooks out there whenever using cornstarch to thicken a sauce always mix it with a bit of cold water before adding it a recipe. FYI just in case.


No comments:

Post a Comment