Thursday, May 27, 2010

Sautéed Veggie and Chicken Sandwiches

I've recently learned that I have some health issues and loosing a few pounds would really help. Of course I already knew I needed to loose some weight but this has helped get things rolling. So hopefully you'll see better meal choices.

Tonight I made Sautéed Veggie and Chicken sandwiches. I used to make this all the time. It's a nice thing to make ahead and pack for lunches. I used to make it when I nannied and then just toasted some bread and warmed the veggies in the microwave.

You can use any of your favorite veggies but here's what I did tonight.

I heated some oil in a stir fry pan. And then I tossed in some:

  • red onion (thinly cut into rings)
  • garlic  
  • broccoli 
  • zucchini
  • green pepper (I wish I had red instead)
  • mushrooms (I actually didn't have this but I usually use mushrooms b/c I love them).
  • diced cooked chicken (Optional. I used about 3ounces leftover lemony chicken you could use more chicken for a hungrier crowd). 
Add 2-4 tbls of balsamic vinegar and 2tsp dried rosemary (I crush mine in a mortar).
Sauté until tender (or whatever tenderness-mush level you most enjoy). 
Toss on some Parmesan cheese.
Remove from heat. 
Throw your favorite bread in the toaster (if you want) and top with the veggies. 

The amount of veggies you need is all up to how many people you're feeding. 

Variations: Use black beans instead of or in addition to the chicken. Use Southwest style seasonings.

You could also sauté in sesame oil and use some soy sauce or any of your favorite Asian sauces. 

Use just olive oil and then add some pasta sauce in the last few mins for an Italian feel. 

Super easy and versatile. My husband had a second sandwich. I should have made more but since we're home for lunch it isn't hard for me to cook :)

My husband said it was "stellar". He didn't say that about the tuna last night. That was good. This was "stellar". *Gush*

No comments:

Post a Comment