Sunday, May 23, 2010

Tortellini Spinach and Sausage Soup

This is a recipe I found in the break room of Chapel Hill Academy when I was student teaching 7th and 8th graders back in 2005. It was winter, it was really cold, and I didn't have an oven in the basement apartment I rented. This was perfect. With salad and bread sticks I swear this soup is better than anything at Olive Garden!

Ingredients:

  • 1lb ground sausage, browned. I've also used sausage patties or links browned and cut. Make sure to rinse the sausage or the soup will be oily. 
  • 1 large can diced tomatoes
  • garlic
  • basil
  • salt/pepper
  • 3cans chicken broth or equivalent in water with bullion or homemade chicken stock, etc.
  • 1 package frozen cheese tortellini (or dry)
  • 1/2 "box" frozen spinach or about 3cups fresh
  1. Combine sausage, tomatoes, seasonings, and broth in a large pot. Bring to a light boil. 
  2. Add tortellini and cook to directions.
  3. In last 2mins of cook time add spinach. 
  4. Heat until spinach is hot and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment